Well, nobody even said boo to us yesterday about the coat incident, so apparently I'm still employed. It was a busy day for us and we even got a "real" ambulance call because we were the first unit on the scene of a 2-car accident that we happened to be driving by. Nobody was hurt or wanted to go to the hospital, so the advanced providers were more than happy to let us do the paperwork and be on their way. It was also a day of amusing patients, nearly all of them were alert, younger, and intelligent, so they were fun to talk to and work with. I wasn't in the greatest of moods yesterday morning, but after a couple patients, I was feeling much better - to the point that D noticed and commented. He finds it somewhat amusing that nothing really cheers me up more than patients, but honestly, I'm not doing this job to deal with him or anyone else in the company, I'm here for the patients, so I think that's a good thing.
But as described previously, opportunity never comes in an orderly fashion. Yesterday also brought offers from two separate groups at my old job to take on more work, meaning that I could be employed 30-35 h/wk if I wanted to be and make quite a bit more money. This would mean that I'd go down to one or maybe two days a week at the ambulance and I would have more time to study and more time to volunteer, which sounds like a tempting offer. But part of leaving the old job was that I don't really enjoy doing it, and getting sucked back in probably wouldn't be much better although at least I'd know there was an end in sight.
The whole point to being on the ambulance full-time was to make sure I like dealing with patients all the time and to get patient contact experience in case I want to go to PA school (since they require 1000-2000 hours). Since a variety of folks have been engaged in talking me out of being a PA, that is seeming less and less likely and number of hours on the ambulance isn't as important. I feel like I should at least stay put until I'm off of probation at the end of the month. K suggested staying put for now and waiting until I get my MCAT scores back in June to decide. Sounds reasonable, but I'm having a hard time being patient with this entire process, I just want to be there. Wherever there is, that's where I want to be.