24 April 2006

Relief

R-o-l-a-i-d-s? I don't think so, how about no more M-C-A-T!?! As always with any major stressor, the actual event is something of a let down and then I'm left with a big hole in my mental energy which is immediately filled with exhaustion. Something like, "holy crap! have I really been studying 4 hours a day? I'm just going to curl up over here and someone wake me when it's summer". Of course, I don't have the time to actually sleep until the summer and I'm still working too much, but the joy of stretching out on the couch, turning on the TV and turning off my brain can not be underestimated. I think the test went well, I found the verbal section and the biological sciences sections to be annoying because I finished in 1/2 the allotted time, so I just had to sit there with nothing to do and wait quietly during the rest of the time. By the time I got home, I was bouncing with enthusiasm for being done, but K was sick with a GI bug similar to what I had a few weeks ago, so he wasn't really up for celebrating. This is when I strongly regret that none of my friends live closer to me.

Everyone at work yesterday noticed that I wasn't quite right, one guy even asked me if I'd lost my best friend or something. I guess looking like a gelatinous puddle on the couch at the station was a bit atypical. I read some junk paperback fiction (my favorite kind) for a while, but around chapter 11 discovered that I had no idea what was going on, moved the bookmark back to chapter 9 and gave up. The woman I was working with was one of the very talkative, sharing types, so I now know waaayy too much about her menstrual cycle, her relationship with her husband, her kids, and her general theory on life. Apparently it has been very good for me to be working with a guy, because great googly-moogly can these women talk! I didn't have the energy to try and get a word in edgewise, so the only thing she learned about me was how long I've been married, that I have no kids, and I'm not from around here. Which generally takes people about 30 seconds to learn. And we worked together for 8 hours.

No comments: