24 December 2007

Open letter

Dear admissions offices,

I recognize that crushing people's hopes and dreams is just part of the daily routine for your office, but I request that you have a little bit more consideration as to when it happens. Applicants all want quick decisions so they know what to plan and prepare for. I would just like to ask that you please not send rejection letters on Christmas Eve.

I'm not a particularly religious person and I don't always get to spend the holidays with my family, but that doesn't mean that I would like my Christmas celebration ruined (two years in a row) by feeling worthless and depressed about not being accepted to your program. Obviously, I think you have a good program that would be worth going hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to attend. Please just wait to destroy my self-worth until after the holidays. I propose that you not send rejections between December 23 and 27.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jen

No comments: