02 February 2009

Slow progress

I haven't updated about the tub/tile situation because it is not finished. I worked on the tile through 20 lbs of mortar yesterday and I'm still not done. There is ONE tile which touches the ceiling now, but I have a bit more work on the walls before I can move to the ceiling and get done. I've had a couple of requests for pictures, but I'd like to wait until the grout is in and you can see the finished result.

School interview last week was the weirdest one yet, I don't even know whether I did well or not. The first guy had a more argumentative style, asking questions and then pushing you on the answers. Somehow we ended up talking about the health care system as a whole, who makes decisions on which treatments are used and available, and how to fix the current system. At one point, he looks at me and just says, "So what is the answer?" I tried to be as polite as I could but my response was "If I had the answer, I wouldn't be applying to be a physician, I'd be running for office and just fix the problem." I did take some time to elaborate on needing more information and feeling like too many people think they can see the answers from outside the system and end up recommending completely impractical things. Later, he told me that the concerns I had about health care were more appropriately fixed by economists and lawyers and maybe I should look into those options. What!?!?

Second guy behaved as though he had already decided, asking lots of questions about my re-application, the timing on when I took and re-took the MCAT, why I haven't been accepted yet and why I still applied the third year. Not angry questioning, just a lot of details. Then he moved on to how K and I are going to manage his job in south-east NH with my schooling in central-west NH and the 1 1/2 drive in between. Sounding very much like he intended to let me in, but I'm not sure that was the case.

School states there is a minimum of 6 weeks until they will decide anything and probably not even then. I have 53 days and counting until I need to give the DO program the next $1500. I need to file my taxes, my FAFSA and additional financial aid paperwork at all the schools in the next week. Busy, busy, busy.

No comments: